Saturday, October 07, 2006

Socktoberfest Questions

When did you start making socks?
I made my first pair a couple of years ago.


Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class? I taught myself from free patterns and many tutorials which I found on the internet. Nancy Bush's book, "Knitting on the Road" was a good source for different techniques.


What was your first pair? I used a self-patterning Regia yarn using a free pattern that I found on the internet. It was a cuff-down pair.


How have they "held up" over time? Pretty well; they have been washed and worn many times.


What would you have done differently? The first pair, I changed to stockinette stitch on the cuff. Now I prefer all ribbing on the cuff for a tighter fit. I also prefer cable socks, or socks with ribbing continuing down the top half of the foot.


What yarns have you particularly enjoyed? I've enjoyed Regia, Opal, Cherry Tree Hill, and KnitPicks Essentials. There are so many different brands, and many more to try out!


Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method? I've never croched socks, but have crocheted afghans. My preferred method of knitting socks is two (16 inch) circulars. Favorite kind of needles are currently KnitPicks. They are so reasonably priced, and I love the points, and everything about the needles. I also have Inox and Addi Turbos.


Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?) The flap heel.


How many pairs have you made? It's hard to say; I've made socks for friends and family, and also quite a few pairs for me. A guesstimate would be between twenty and thirty.

No comments: