Saturday, October 07, 2006

First toe-up socks

The yarn and pattern are part of a swap sent by Colleen. Have been busy, and have had little time to work on them. The first toe was too tight; I took it apart and switched to a larger needle and had a better gauge. It's much better to test one's gauge first, but I don't think many knitters actually do. Used the turkish cast-on directions from FluffyKnitterDeb; she has nicely written (and illustrated)directions. Everything progressed nicely until the heel. Not sure yet if I like the wrapping technique to form the heel. I've made so many socks from the cuff down that I didn't even have to think about how they were made. It is a nice break to make some lady's socks with cables, though. Only time will tell if I convert to toe-up socks.


Tiger Lily looks on from the lower deck.

No comments: